Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ellenberger? No way! It’s Fitch that Story wants next

Rick Story surprised many by beating Thiago Alves in just about every aspect of their bout on Saturday. With a collegiate wrestling background, Story used some grappling to wear and slow down Alves, but where he really scored the victory was on the feet. Alves is a feared striker, but was outlanded 79 to 54.

Following the fight, Story (13-3 , 6-1 UFC) was brimming with confidence. When� asked about fighting another rising prospect in the division, Jake Ellenberger, Story was quick to say no. Ellenberger has won four straight. Story, 26, and Ellenberger met outside the UFC in 2008 with Story winning.

"I fought Ellenberger before and I beat him pretty handily. It would be a step back for me just because I dominated him," Story told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "He's going to need a couple of wins to (earn a rematch)."

Story, ranked No. 23 at welterweight by the USA Today/Bloody Elbow rankings, wants No. 2 Jon Fitch.

"I think I'd match up really well. I believe I have really good takedown defense and really good scrambling skills to be able to keep it on the feet. I think I have the power to put it to him, so stylistically I think it's a great matchup for me," Story said. "Jon Fitch has great control, great wrestling, but I've seen him get clipped before. He's up there and it will get me that title shot quicker."

Story probably won't get Fitch, but looks like he can compete with just about anyone ranked ahead of him. The UFC welterweights in the top 22 include Jake Shields, Josh Koscheck, Carlos Condit, Diego Sanchez, Martin Kampmann, Matt Hughes, Anthony Johnson, Mike Pyle, Paulo Thiago, Dong Hyun Kim, Ellenberger, Dan Hardy, John Hathaway and Chris Lytle.

Fitch (23-3, 13-1 UFC) is sidelined after shoulder surgery. He's expected back some time in the fall. His camp did a great video look at Fitch immediately following the surgery. It doesn't look like a very pleasant recovery process.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Ellenberger-No-way-It-s-Fitch-that-Story-wants?urn=mma-wp2808

Tony Bonello Stephan Bonnar Lorenzo Borgomeo  Kyle Bradley  Jai Bradney 

No comments:

Post a Comment